Friday, January 20, 2012

Deadly Gas Industry Cover-up Revealed

"Both the industry and the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, the state's agency meant to protect public health and regulate oil and gas, have denied the existence of high levels of hydrogen sulfide in Colorado. In 1997, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment wanted to monitor for hydrogen sulfide at oil and gas facilities after they were designated as confirmed sources of the deadly gas by the EPA.

The COGCC stepped in and told them not to, claiming there were no elevated levels in the state. The public health department listened, and tells us they haven't pursued any monitoring of hydrogen sulfide at oil and gas facilities since."

According to a recent report "NEW MEXICO AND COLORADO: Toxic Soup of Harmful Chemicals Found in the Air Near Schools and Homes in the Four Corners," “Acrylonitrile, benzene, methylene chloride and ethylbenzene are carcinogens found in the air samples. Levels of these chemicals exceed the level determined to cause an increased risk of cancer,” stated Mark Chernaik, Ph.D., an independent environmental health expert retained to review the sample results.

HUFFINGTON POST: Colorado Officials Investigating Hydrogen Sulfide Reports At Oil And Gas Drilling Sites--August 8th, 2011

When citizen's health, welfare and safety are ignored and abused by our government agencies, it is time for the citizens to stand up and demand justice!

John Dzenitis
Aug 5, 2011

Before 42-year-old Jose Lara of Rifle died, he recorded a six-hour deposition detailing his work in the natural gas industry.

"If I would have known the damage those tanks would do to me, I would never have cleaned them," an emotional Lara said through a Spanish translator in front of a camera and room full of attorneys.

Dying from pancreatic and liver cancer, Lara described his job with Rain for Rent, a California-based company with a branch in Rifle.

His job was to power-wash waste water tanks for numerous natural gas drilling companies. For years, Lara said he was not supplied with a respirator, protective gear, or any warning of what he could be exposed to.

"The chemicals, the smell was so bad," Lara said. "Once I got out, I couldn't stop throwing up. I couldn't even talk."